I was so excited when our little spaghetti squash started to actually produce beautiful squash!! Now I would be more then happy to just eat the spaghetti squash plain with some butter and salt and pepper. BUT my kids and hubby however wouldn’t be so thrilled! 😉 So I was standing in my kitchen trying to figure out dinner for the night and I was really wanting my squash. I looked in the fridge and cupboards and then the freezer to find something to go with my lovely squash. I opened the freezer to find the yummy Italian Chicken sausage, I had gotten on sale at our local Sams club this last week. A light bulb went off and I went to cooking! The below recipe is what I came up with. My entire family, even my “anti-veggie” son, LOVED this and even had seconds!
This one will definitely be a repeat favorite for fall!
Chicken and Sausage Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 1/2 Tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 chicken breasts , diced
- 1 package of Italian Chicken sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 Serrano peppers, finely diced (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1Tbsp. EVOO
- 1Tbsp McCormicks Garlic Herb and Wine seasoning
- 1 1/2 inches of cream cheese
- 2Tbsp butter
- 3Tbsp of flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1/2tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
Top with 1/4cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half
- Scoop out the inside seeds until clean
- Using a sharp knife or fork, poke holes all over the inside of the squash
- Generously sprinkle w salt and pepper
- Add the 2 1/2 Tbsp of butter to inside
- Place in preheated oven and cook for 30minutes
- While squash is roasting, add the EVOO to the skillet and warm over medium heat
- Saute the peppers and garlic in the EVOO. Once garlic begins to soften add diced Chicken
- When chicken is becoming white, add the diced sausage
- Sprinkle the onion powder and seasoning over top of the chicken and sausage and let finish cooking
- When the chicken begins to caramelize, remove from heat
- In a small sauce pan, add the 2Tbsp butter, let melt down over medium heat
- Once melted add the flour and combine
- When combined add the chicken broth and bring heat up to medium high. Continue whisking until sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in the cream cheese red pepper flakes and set aside.
- Remove Squash from the oven. Using a fork flake out some of the “Spaghetti” to loosen it and incorporate the butter
- Add a large spoonful of the sauce
- Top sauce with half of the meat mixture
- Then cover the meat with remaining sauce
- Finish it off with fresh grated parm cheese
- Place back in the oven at 400F for 10-15minutes or until the cheese begins to get golden brown
- Let cool for 5-10minute
- Spoon on to plate and ENJOY!!!!
We topped ours,once on our plates, with extra parm cheese too 🙂
Mmmmm my mouth is watering for this again now! haha! So so good!! 🙂
Let me know what you think and as always,
HAPPY COOKING!! 🙂
*this is the sausage I used!